Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Effects of Music

I want to talk about one of my loves, music. Music has always been able to deeply touch my soul. I have had some super hard times in my life where I felt like nothing could fix the way I was feeling. Then I would go to my room and lock myself in or to my car and turn on some music and it would make everything seem alright. Have you ever felt that way?

Music has such an effect on us. It can lift us in times of need but it can also drag us down if we're listening to destructive lyrics. My Mission President Jack R. Christianson has written a book called

" The Power of Music: Purify the Spirit or Pollute the Soul."

In his book he talks about making the decision to listen to good uplifting music. It is SO SO hard in our time today to do that. There is so much music out there with great beats or amazing guitar solos that make us want to listen but then it comes to the lyrics and they are just awful.
I myself have been caught in the trap of listening to music that has an AMAZING beat but talks about horrible things. When I was home I loved listening to the radio and I would usually just listen to the things that came on and never really thought about the lyrics. Now when I have a song in my head I'll sing it and sing the lyrics that I never knew that I had imprinted in my head and will realize as certain words come out of my own mouth that it's a horrible song! Yikes! The music we listen to whether we think so or not has a lasting effect on our brain. We can even remember lyrics to a song that we haven't heard in over a year!

My challenge for you is to listen to the lyrics of the music that you do have. Listen to the lyrics and if they are uplifting then keep them, and put only wholesome things into your mind! You will be blessed, I promise listening! If they aren't then STOP immediately. I promise you that you will feel a joy in your life that you have never experienced, if you keep the spirit there with you while you are listening to music. Don't drive the spirit away by listening to destructive lyrics! You can do it, especially if I can! Be the best you can be and you will be blessed, I promise.

2 comments:

  1. Sister Lowe! This is your cousin Tiff! I love this blog post! I am speaking in church this Sunday on the 13th article of Faith and focusing on how we "Seek After These Things" Listening to uplifting music and avoiding music that offends The Spirit is so important to our souls! Thanks for sharing this! I love you and think about you and pray for you always! Sending you loves and hugs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many years ago I heard President Jack R. Christiansen give a talk on the subject of Music and it's influence on us.
    It made such a profound impression on me then that I decided to change the type of music we would listen to in our home and cars from that time forward.
    I recently found his talk on the internet and would like to share the link with you so you can read it also.
    It is called: APPLES OR ONIONS?
    http://lds.org/new-era/1984/04/music-apples-or-onions?lang=eng

    ReplyDelete